What a lively and exhilarating Sukkot and Simchat Torah we experienced at Maroubra Shul this week! I loved seeing so many people take part in our services and so many kids participate in the dancing!
I will miss being with you in Shul this weekend as I will be visiting the Jewish community in Hobart, Tasmania, where I will be leading Shabbat services and taking part in a special Centenary of Anzac event as Jewish Military Chaplain. I look forward to sharing of my experiences with you in Shul next week!
With the High Holidays now behind us, can I remind you of one of the messages that I spoke about over this time – that of investing in yourselves and supporting your community. As this week is Shabbat Bereshit – the Shabbat of ‘beginnings’, allow me to suggest that you begin this year begin with a positive resolution. Please try and partake in our Synagogue services a little more this year and partake in some of the many programs that we offer.
1. I bring to your attention the Melton initiative that I am trying to bring to our Shul. We are offering a short course until the year end – five sessions – on the topic of instilling Jewish values into our children. We are taking final numbers by the end of THIS week and I encourage you all to attend. It will be enriching, rewarding and is designed to assist you in inspiring your children or grandchildren with the values that you hold so dear. So please be in touch with me ASAP to secure your place.
2. Also this month, Chana Raizel and I will be kicking off our Bar and Bat Mitzvah courses for all those celebrating smachot this year as well as our four week, Pre-marriage course for all the couples that I will be marrying.
3. The Shabbat Project is also coming up in two weeks time and we will be holding many activities from a Challah Bake, to a Friday night dinner, to a Shabbat afternoon talk series, to a lively Havdallah party.
4. Our Shlichot and I are proud to announce a monthly Carlebach minyan lead by our youth. First one to begin next Shabbat!
5. My group Shiurim are also set to begin this month so stay tuned for exact dates and locations.
As you can see, there are so many varying activities happening at our Shul – with something for everyone to take part in. So please join us over the upcoming month!
Wishing you all a great start to the Jewish year and Shabbat Shalom!
Rabbi Yossi and Chana Raizel Friedman